There is actually no way you’ll be asked to list five (5) Federal Universities in Nigeria without you mentioning Ahmadu Bello University. After this first generation tertiary institution was established in the post-independence era decades ago, it immediately became a hub of academic excellence, churning out renowned professionals and technocrats, who are currently excelling in different fields both within and outside the country. A visit to both campuses at Samaru and Kongo in Zaria will give you a feel of what true formal education feels like.
Situated in the fast-growing suburban town of Zaria, the Ahmadu Bello University was established in 1962 by the then government of the Northern region. At inception, it was given a mandate to provide qualitative training to all men and women of all races, tribes, religions and nationalities. After political restructuring in the years that followed, the Federal Government of Nigeria took over ownership and control of the University in 1975. While upholding best international practices, the University has also strived over the years to preserve the culture and lifestyle as well as promote the interests of its host community.
In its over 45 years in existence, the Ahmadu Bello University has grown to become Nigeria’s and perhaps, West Africa’s largest University, with over 12 faculties accommodating about 100 academic departments. The University is also big on Research and Specialized programmes that often expand its scope beyond the shores of Africa. Amongst its faculties of disciplines include Agriculture, Business and Public Administration, Biological and Physical Sciences, Engineering, Environmental Design, Education, Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Law, the Humanities, and Social Sciences.
ABU Zaria School Fees for Undergraduates
It is a norm amongst tertiary institutions globally to charge different rates for different courses of study. This, in part, has to do with the complexities of certain courses as well as the need for materials to teach them. In Nigeria, you will often notice that medical sciences usually attract higher tuition fees than other faculties in schools. The case is the same at Ahmadu Bello University. Also, fees for new students (freshers) are not the same as those for returning students (staylites). Let’s take a look at these categories.
|Category||New Students (UTME & Direct Entry Candidates)||Returning Students (200-500level Students)|
|Undergraduate Tuition Fees (Acceptance fee included)||N25,500 to N44,500 (depending on your selected course of study)||N14,500 to N39,500 (depending on course and level of student)|
|Faculty||New Students (UTME & Direct Entry Candidates)||Returning Students (200 level to 500 level)|
One thing I must state clearly is that this post only takes cognizance of what the fees were at the time of writing. If there are already changes before you see this post, you should understand. These fees are subject to changes. It is important to note that the tuition fees for new students have acceptance fees already included, as well as other miscellaneous expenses. By the time they get to 200 level (UTME Candidates) and 300 level (Direct Entry Candidates), these so-called freshers will then begin to pay the fee for returning students.
ABU Zaria Postgraduate School Fees
The School of Post Graduate Studies at the Ahmadu Bello University accommodates the PGD, Masters’, Doctoral, and even Post-Doctoral programmes. Understandably, the fees are far more expensive than those of undergraduate courses. Note that to apply for any of these programmes, you have to purchase the application form which costs N10, 500.
- Acceptance Fees: N50, 000 for both Sciences and School of Management Sciences. This is the same amount paid by Post-Graduate Diploma Students.
- Registration Fee: N25, 000 for PGD and Masters, both Sciences and Management Sciences.
- Tuition Fees: N150, 000 for Post-Graduate Diploma, while Masters students pay between N200, 000 and N250, 000 depending on the course.
- Health, Computer, Examination and Sports Fees: All of these fees amount to about N120, 000.
- Developmental Levy: N100, 000 to be paid by every post graduate student.
- Total Fees Payable at the end of Programme: While a Masters Programme in the Sciences will cost about N510, 000 in tuition, Management Sciences will cost N455, 000, while a PGD student will be paying N405, 000 at the end of the final semester.
Note that these fees do not include accommodation costs, food, and other personal items you may need. Usually, the school provides hostel accommodation to students who desire to live within the premises, and ABU students pay the lowest rates in Nigeria for hostel accommodation.
Things you should know about ABU Zaria
The Ahmadu Bello University is acclaimed one of the most sought after in Nigeria. Sitting on a land mass of …., it is also known for its vast fallow lands, extending to neighboring communities at the Samaru end as well as towards the western part of Zaria. Do you know that the institution boasts of notable Nigerians such as the late President Umar Musa Yar’adua, Emir of Kano, Lamido Sanusi Lamido, Isa Yuguda, former Vice Presidents Namadi Sambo and Atiku Abubakar, and several others? Well, now you know.
The school also has a predegree campus at Funtua, also in Kaduna State.
Recognitions and Accolades
Ahmadu Bello University was ranked No. 1 University in Nigeria for 2017 by the National Universities Commission (NUC). It claimed the top spot out of a hundred Universities ranked by the commission, comprising public and private universities. Meanwhile, in Webometrics list of top 30 Nigerian Universities based on openness, Ahmadu Bello University was ranked 10th in Nigeria.
Size and Population
The Ahmadu Bello University is arguably the largest in Subsaharan Africa in land mass and has a strong stance when it comes to student population. The school sits on approximately 7,000 hectares of land and has an ever increasing student population that currently stands at around 40,000.
See school fees of other institutions in Nigeria
- OAU School Fees (2018) for Undergraduates & Postgraduates
- ABU Zaria School Fees & Registration Fees (2018)
- National Open University of Nigeria School Fees (2018)
- School Fees of Private Universities in Nigeria (2018)
- University of Ibadan School Fees (2018)
- UNILAG School Fees for Undergraduates (2018)
- UNILAG Postgraduate School Fees (2018)
- UNILORIN School Fees 2018 (Undergraduate & Postgraduate)
- 10 Cheapest Federal Universities in Nigeria (2018)
- Uniben PostGraduate School Fees (2018)
- Lagos State University School Fees (2018) for Undergraduates
- Kano State University (KUST) School Fees (2018)
- Ekiti State University School Fees (2018)
- Osun State University School Fees (2018)
- Private Universities in Abuja & their School Fees (2018)
- Lagos State Polytechnic School Fees (2018)
- Schools of Nursing in Nigeria & Their School Fees
- University of Abuja School Fees (2018)
- UNILAG Part Time School Fees (2018)
- University of Nigeria School Fees (2018)
- Kaduna State University School Fees (2018)
- Sokoto State University School Fees (2018)
- Cotonou Universities & School Fees (2018)
- Babcock University School Fees (2018)
- Covenant University School Fees (2018)
- Bowen University School Fees (2018/2019)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University School Fees & Courses (2018)
- Kwara State Polytechnic School Fees (2018/2019)
- Federal University Gashua School Fees & Courses (2018/2019)
- LAUTECH School Fees for Undergraduates & Courses (2018)
- Cost of Master’s Degree in Nigerian Universities (2018)
- List of Polytechnics in Nigeria and Their School Fees (2018)