Amoxicillin is one of the most sought after penicillin antibiotics in Nigeria today. The drug is used to combat various kinds of bacterial infections, including pneumonia, bronchitis, skin infections, throat infections, urinary tract infections, ear and nose infections, and many other bacterial infections.
While the effectiveness of Amoxicillin has never been in doubt, many still have questions as regards how much the drug goes for. Here, we will take a look at the prices of Amoxicillin, its uses, possible side effects, and how to effectively use the drug.
Prices of Amoxicillin in Nigeria
Amoxicillin is readily available in Nigeria and comes in different milligrams and types, with various brands choosing to name the drug as they prefer. Generally, the medicine comes in packs and sachets, with varying numbers of capsules. This makes it more difficult to estimate the amount the drug goes for as the prices usually depend on the milligram, the number of sachets in a pack, and the number of capsules.
On the average, you can purchase a pack of Amoxicillin for anything between N785 and N4,000 depending on the brand, strength (milligram), and the number of capsules in the pack or sachet. The drug is readily available and can be purchased in various pharmacies and drug stores across the country. They can even be ordered online from various eCommerce drug stores.
PRICES LAST UPDATED: OCTOBER 28, 2022.
Uses of Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is a very common penicillin antibiotic. The drug is used to manage and treat various types of bacterial infections. It functions mainly by halting the growth of bacteria. It should be noted, however, that the drug only works effectively to treats only bacterial infections. This means that the drug will not work for viral infections, including common cold and flu. It is essential to use antibiotics, whether Amoxicillin or any other, only when needed. Using antibiotics when not necessary or needed can significantly reduce the efficiency of the drugs when used for future bacterial infections.
Amoxicillin can also be used with some other medicines for the management and treatment of stomach and intestinal ulcers caused by the bacteria. The drug, when combined with clarithromycin (Biaxin), another antibiotic, to manage and treat stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori, a unique bacterial infection. The combination of the drugs is also sometimes used with a stomach acid reducer called lansoprazole.
How to use Amoxicillin
Before taking the drug, it is very important to consult your medical doctor or pharmacist. Dosage is usually based on the bacterial infection you are trying to treat or manage. Generally, you are expected to take the medication by mouth, with or without food, as directed by the medical doctor or pharmacist.
The drug is usually taken every 8 or 12 hours, depending on the prescription and the infection you are trying to cure and the overall response to the treatment.
While using the drug, it is essential to take plenty of fluids, except your doctor tells you not to. To get the very best of the medicine, it is advisable to take the drug at evenly spaced times. This means that if you are taking the doses in the space of 8 hours, ensure you maintain the spaced time through the completion of the dosage.
If you take the first dose by 10 am, you should take the next dose 8 hours later, which is around 6 pm. You should not stop using the medicine until you complete the full prescription. Even if you notice the symptoms of the infection have disappeared or significantly reduced after a few days, you should not be tempted to stop using the drug until you complete the full prescribed amount.
Halting the medicine earlier than prescribed could be dangerous, as it may allow the bacteria to keep growing, which could then result in the return of the infection being treated. Also, it is essential to inform your doctor or pharmacist if your condition worsens while using the drug.
Possible Side Effects of Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is one of the most common drugs to combat bacterial infections. While the efficiency of the drug has never been questioned, there are loads of side effects that users of the drugs have complained about. Generally, these side effects are usually mild and are temporary, although there are few users that have complained about some more serious side effects.
Most of the common side effects include vomiting, diarrhoea, and nausea. It must be stated that if any of these side effects worsen or persists, it is essential to inform your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible. The majority of the people that use this drug do not experience serious side effects. Based on report and review, prolonged use of Amoxicillin or constantly repeating the drug may result in oral thrush or a vaginal yeast infection. If you notice any symptoms as regards this, it is essential to inform your medical doctor or pharmacist.
Other serious side effects users could experience, although rarely, include dark urine, persistent nausea or vomiting, stomach and/or abdominal pain, yellowing eyes, yellowing of the skin, easy bruising or bleeding, persistent sore throat or fever.
In very few cases, the user may experience severe intestinal condition, as a result of a type of resistant bacteria. It is essential to discuss with your medical doctor or pharmacist when you notice any of these serious symptoms. Some other side effects include rash, itching or swelling of the face, the tongue or the throat, severe dizziness, and in some cases, trouble breathing.
- P-Alaxin Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Proargi9 Plus Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Ulcer Kit (Ulsakit) Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Double Stemcell Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Appeton Weight Gain Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Best Blood Tonics in Nigeria & Prices (December 2023)
- Clomid Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Wellwoman Prices in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Dostinex Prices in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Azithromycin Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- STC30 Supplement Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Addyzoa Prices in Nigeria (December 2023) + Uses & Dose
- Cost of ARV in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Prices of Vitamin E Oil & Capsule Prices in Nigeria (2023)
- Combination-3 Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Spanish Gold Fly Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Best Malaria Tablets in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Podophyllin Cream Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Livolin Forte Prices in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Cost of Pregnacare in Nigeria (December year])
- Greenlife Product and Prices in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Doxycycline Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Amoxicillin Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Augmentin Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Prices of Apple Cider Vinegar in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Neurovit Forte Prices in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Lonart Prices in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Parlodel Prices in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Pregnacare Plus Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- NeoLife Products Price List in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Permethrin Cream Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Wellkid Prices in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Alpha Testo Boost Price in Nigeria (December 2023)
- BF Suma Products Price List in Nigeria (December 2023)
- Cellgevity Price in Nigeria (2023) & Other Details