Azithromycin has become more popular in the medical world over the past few months. The fact that the drug is one of the main drugs used to combat Covid-19 has made medicine even more significant in recent times. The medicine is a macrolide-type antibiotic used to manage and treat a wide variety of bacterial infections.
Here, we will take a look at how much Azithromycin goes for in the market today. We will also consider the uses, possible side effects, and how to effectively use the drug.
Prices of Azithromycin in Nigeria
Azithromycin is readily available for purchase in Nigeria. It sells for anything from N1,500 per sachet, depending on the brand, the number of capsules per sachet, and the milligram.
Usually, branded Azithromycin sells for anything from N1,700, per sachet, while the unbranded versions sell for anything from N1,500 per sachet. Also, Azithromycin suspension for kids sells for anything from N3,500 depending on the brand and milligram.
Zithromax, an Azithromycin brand by Pfizer, is one of the most common in the current market. The branded 250 milligram sells for anything from N1,200 per sachet, while the 500 milligram is available for purchase for anything from N1,500.
The drug is readily available and can be purchased in various pharmacies and drug stores across the country. They can even be ordered online from various e-commerce drug stores.
PRICES LAST UPDATED: FEBRUARY 23, 2024.
Uses of Azithromycin
Azithromycin has become more popular over the past few months. The macrolide-type antibiotic is used to effectively manage and treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria. Just like many other antibiotics, the drug will not work for viral infections like the common cold and flu. It is essential to use antibiotics, whether Azithromycin or any other, only when needed. Using antibiotics when not necessary or needed can significantly reduce the efficiency of the drugs when used for future bacterial infections.
Azithromycin is used to effectively manage and cure different types of infections caused by bacteria, which include respiratory infections, skin infections, ear infections, and eye infections. In some cases, the drug has been recommended to patients with sexually transmitted infections, as the drug can also treat various sexually transmitted diseases.
How to Use Azithromycin
Before you use the drug, it is very important to read the Patient Information Leaflet or discuss it with your medical doctor or pharmacist. Generally, you are expected to take the medication by mouth, with or without food, as directed by the medical doctor or pharmacist. It is advisable to use the drug with food, especially if stomach upset occurs. The dosage of the medication is usually based on the patient’s medical condition and response to treatment. This means that the dosage for patient A could be different from that of patient B if both patients are using the drug for different purposes.
To get the very best of the medicine, it is advisable to take the drug at evenly spaced times. Also, patients should ensure they keep taking the drug until they finish the full prescribed amount, regardless of whether the symptoms disappear after a few days, or not. Halting the medicine earlier than the prescribed period could allow bacteria to keep growing, which may lead to a return of the infection.
Antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium may decrease the absorption of the drug if taken at the same time. Hence, it is very important to wait for at least 2 to 3 hours if you take antacids that contain magnesium or aluminum, before taking Azithromycin. In cases where symptoms persist or worsen, ensure you reach out to your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.
Possible Side Effects
The possible side effects include stomach upset, loose stools, nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. Most of the side effects are usually mild and lasts for only a few days. It is essential to inform your doctor or pharmacist if the symptoms persist or worsen.
In rare cases, some patients have complained about more serious side effects. Some of these serious side effects include hearing changes like deafness or decreased hearing, eye problems like blurred vision, muscle weakness, difficulty talking and swallowing, liver problems, nausea, tiredness, yellowing skin and eyes, abdominal pain, and similar effects. It is also very important to contact your doctor immediately if you experience more serious side effects like severe dizziness, irregular heartbeat, or fainting.
Although extremely rare, the medication could also cause a severe intestinal condition which is a result of resistant bacteria. This condition could occur at the period of treatment or weeks to months after treatment. Avoid the use of antidiarrhoeal or opioid medications if you are experiencing any of the symptoms as highlighted because the drugs could make them even worse.
Also, make sure you inform your medical doctor or pharmacist if you are experiencing symptoms like persistent diarrhoea, abdominal or stomach pain, and blood in your stool. Prolonged use of Amoxicillin or constantly repeating the drug may result in oral thrush or a vaginal yeast infection
While these very serious symptoms are rare, they can lead to more serious health conditions and should not be overlooked. Ensure you discuss this with your medical doctor or pharmacist once you notice any of the stated side effects. There are other side effects not listed here.
- Greenlife Product and Prices in Nigeria (March 2024)
- List of Fidson Products in Nigeria (March 2024)
- List of GSK Products in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Parlodel Prices in Nigeria (March 2024)
- List of Vitabiotics Products in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Proargi9 Plus Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Podophyllin Cream Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Amoxicillin Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Prices of Apple Cider Vinegar in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Azithromycin Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Cellgevity Price in Nigeria (2024) & Other Details
- Best Eye Drop for Apollo in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Best Blood Tonics in Nigeria & Prices (March 2024)
- Dostinex Prices in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Ulcer Kit (Ulsakit) Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Best Malaria Tablets in Nigeria (March 2024)
- P-Alaxin Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Prices of Vitamin E Oil & Capsule Prices in Nigeria (2024)
- Livolin Forte Prices in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Double Stemcell Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Combination-3 Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Clomid Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- BF Suma Products Price List in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Wellwoman Prices in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Neurovit Forte Prices in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Alpha Testo Boost Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Augmentin Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Lonart Prices in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Spanish Gold Fly Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Cost of Pregnacare in Nigeria (March year])
- Pregnacare Plus Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- NeoLife Products Price List in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Cost of ARV in Nigeria (March 2024)
- STC30 Supplement Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Appeton Weight Gain Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Permethrin Cream Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Doxycycline Price in Nigeria (March 2024)
- Addyzoa Prices in Nigeria (March 2024) + Uses & Dose
- Wellkid Prices in Nigeria (March 2024)