Azithromycin has become more popular in the medical world over the past few months. The fact that the drug is one of the main drugs used to combat Covid-19 has made medicine even more significant in recent times. The medicine is a macrolide-type antibiotic used to manage and treat a wide variety of bacterial infections.
Here, we will take a look at how much Azithromycin goes for in the market today. We will also consider the uses, possible side effects, and how to effectively use the drug.
Prices of Azithromycin in Nigeria
Azithromycin is readily available for purchase in Nigeria. It sells for anything between N1,500 and N6,000 per sachet, depending on the brand, the number of capsules per sachet, and the milligram.
Usually, branded Azithromycin sells for between N3,500, and N6,000 per sachet, while the unbranded versions sell for between N1,500, and N2,500 sachets. Also, Azithromycin suspension for kids sells for between N2,900 and N4,000 depending on the brand and milligram.
Zithromax, an Azithromycin brand by Pfizer, is one of the most common in the current market. The branded 250 milligram sells for between N1,500 and N4,000 per sachet, while the 500 milligram is available for purchase for anything between N2,500 and N5,500.
The drug is readily available and can be purchased in various pharmacies and drug stores across the country. They can even be ordered online from various e-commerce drug stores.
PRICES LAST UPDATED: OCTOBER 28, 2022.
Uses of Azithromycin
Azithromycin has become more popular over the past few months. The macrolide-type antibiotic is used to effectively manage and treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria. Just like many other antibiotics, the drug will not work for viral infections like common cold and flu. It is essential to use antibiotics, whether Azithromycin or any other, only when needed. Using antibiotics when not necessary or needed can significantly reduce the efficiency of the drugs when used for future bacterial infections.
Azithromycin is used to effectively manage and cure different types of infections caused by bacteria, which include respiratory infections, skin infections, ear infections, and eye infections. In some cases, the drug has been recommended to patients with sexually transmitted infections, as the drug can also treat various sexually transmitted diseases.
How to Use Azithromycin
Before you use the drug, it is very important to read the Patient Information Leaflet or discuss it with your medical doctor or pharmacist. Generally, you are expected to take the medication by mouth, with or without food, as directed by the medical doctor or pharmacist. It is advisable to use the drug with food, especially if stomach upset occurs. The dosage of the medication is usually based on the patient’s medical condition and response to treatment. This means that the dosage for patient A could be different from that of patient B if both patients are using the drug for different purposes.
To get the very best of the medicine, it is advisable to take the drug at evenly spaced times. Also, patients should ensure they keep taking the drug until they finish the full prescribed amount, regardless of whether the symptoms disappear after a few days, or not. Halting the medicine earlier than the prescribed period could allow bacteria to keep growing, which may lead to a return of the infection.
Antacids that contain aluminium or magnesium may decrease the absorption of the drug if taken at the same time. Hence, it is very important to wait for at least 2 to 3 hours if you take antacids that contain magnesium or aluminium, before taking Azithromycin. In cases where symptoms persist or worsens, ensure you reach out to your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.
Possible Side Effects
The possible side effects include stomach upset, loose stools, nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. Most of the side effects are usually mild and lasts for only a few days. It is essential to inform your doctor or pharmacist if the symptoms persist or worsens.
In rare cases, some patients have companied about more serious side effects. Some of these serious side effects include hearing changes like deafness or decreased hearing, eye problems like blurred vision, muscle weakness, difficulty talking and swallowing, liver problems, nausea, tiredness, yellowing skin and eyes, abdominal pain, and similar effects. It is also very important to contact your doctor immediately if you experience more serious side effects like severe dizziness, irregular heartbeat, or fainting.
Although extremely rare, the medication could also cause a severe intestinal condition which is as a result of resistant bacteria. This condition could occur at the period of treatment or weeks to months after treatment. Avoid the use of antidiarrhoeal or opioid medications if you are experiencing any of the symptoms as highlighted because the drugs could make them even worse.
Also, make sure you inform your medical doctor or pharmacist if you are experiencing symptoms like persistent diarrhoea, abdominal or stomach pain, and blood in your stool. Prolonged use of Amoxicillin or constantly repeating the drug may result in oral thrush or a vaginal yeast infection
While these very serious symptoms are rare, they can lead to more serious health conditions and should not be overlooked. Ensure you discuss with your medical doctor or pharmacist once you notice any of the stated side effects. There are other side effects not listed here.
- Best Blood Tonics in Nigeria & Prices (September 2023)
- Alpha Testo Boost Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Dostinex Prices in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Neurovit Forte Prices in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Double Stemcell Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Prices of Apple Cider Vinegar in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Podophyllin Cream Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- BF Suma Products Price List in Nigeria (September 2023)
- STC30 Supplement Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Spanish Gold Fly Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Azithromycin Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Cellgevity Price in Nigeria (2023) & Other Details
- Parlodel Prices in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Augmentin Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Prices of Vitamin E Oil & Capsule Prices in Nigeria (2023)
- Doxycycline Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- NeoLife Products Price List in Nigeria (September 2023)
- P-Alaxin Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Wellkid Prices in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Proargi9 Plus Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Permethrin Cream Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Pregnacare Plus Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Cost of ARV in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Combination-3 Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Ulcer Kit (Ulsakit) Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Appeton Weight Gain Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Clomid Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Addyzoa Prices in Nigeria (September 2023) + Uses & Dose
- Amoxicillin Price in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Cost of Pregnacare in Nigeria (September year])
- Wellwoman Prices in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Lonart Prices in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Greenlife Product and Prices in Nigeria (September 2023)
- Livolin Forte Prices in Nigeria (September 2023)