Salon business is gradually becoming one of the most patronized businesses in recent times. Whether on small scale or large scale, the salon business has been among the most consistent businesses in Nigeria. The fact that they are not too expensive to start makes the business a top choice for entrepreneurs and has been a positive step for lots of young people. While the salon business is a largely lucrative one, it can be quite challenging to open a standard barbing salon.
Opening a barbing salon can be quite tasking. With lots of equipment to purchase and setting up the whole idea, you can expect the process to be a little tedious. Also, there are many rules and regulations governing the industry usually set by the governing body of the industry in whichever city you plan setting up the business. There are basic requirements necessary to start a salon in Nigeria and of course, lots of do’s and don’ts. In fact, a barbing license might not be offered to you if you are not efficiently trained and certified.
The first main requirement when starting a barbing salon is for you to have the barbing licence. This not only confirms you as a certified member of the association but also means you can fully operate as a barber in the region. Before you get certified though, there are basic requirements you need to have. The first and the most important is to have a place, a shop. You will not be given a licence as a barber if you don’t have a salon.
After you have gotten a place, where you rent a shop or built one entirely, the next main step is to buy necessary equipment. This is where the challenge lies. Although there are different grades and levels of barbing salon in Nigeria, there are basic equipment required to effectively start operation. In this post, we will take a look at some of these core equipment and how much they go for in the current market.
Barbing Salon Equipment and their Prices in Nigeria
If you are looking to start a salon business and need to know how much the basic equipment cost, you are in the right place. If you are among the few people that think starting up a salon business and opening a barbing salon comes cheap, then you probably have either been feeding on wrong information or decided to just ignore the obvious.
Although starting up a barbing salon may not be the most expensive when compared to some other businesses in the same category, it still cost some penny, depending on what and how you want the salon to be like. Barbing salons are in different grades and of course, the capital you need to star up varies. For instance, you can start a standard barbing salon for as low as N500, 000 or as high as N5 million. In fact, there are some salons in Nigeria that are worth as low as N100, 000 or as high as N10 million. This depends on you. To be on the safer side though, you need to budget a minimum of N500, 000 to start up a comfortable salon.
Let us now take a look at some of the core equipment needed to start a barbing salon and how much they cost in current market.
- Clippers: This is the most important equipment when starting a barbing salon. You need to get a minimum of two clippers. You should get different types for proper efficiency. Clippers vary in sizes and types. It is good to start with at least two different types. Clippers range between N5, 000 – N30, 000 depending on the type and operation mechanism.
- Sterilizer: Sterilizers are very important to barbers. In fact, it is as important as the clipper. It is used to keep other core barbing equipment including clippers and combs in cool condition whenever they are not in use. A sterilizer costs between N15, 000 – N45, 000 depending on the brand, type and size.
- Large Wall Mirrors: Have you ever gone to a salon and didn’t see at least two large mirrors? I don’t think so. That shows you how important mirrors are. They are used by both barbers and customers to check how the hair is when it’s being cut by the barber.
- Rotating Chair: There is a need for at least one rotating chair. This allows easy mobility when the barber is cutting the customer’s hair and also makes the customer comfortable. These chairs are available in various sizes and the prices range heavily. They range between N15, 000 – N60, 000 depending on the size, the material and type.
- Sound System: Music has a way of positively changing the vibe of a place. Apart from the fact that music makes a place livelier, it also attracts people, a factor most barbers appreciate. To add to the sound system, a television with a cable TV like DSTV, GoTV and other customer-friendly cable TVs will do the barbing salon no harm. Sound systems range between N18, 000 – 90, 000 depending on the type you want.
- Generator: We live in a country where electric power supply cannot be trusted. Generator is one of the most important equipment in a barbing salon. It gives you an alternative option whenever the electric power is out. You can get a generator between N20, 000 – N80, 000 depending on the power output.
- Air Conditioner or Fan: If your customer’s comfort means a lot to you, then you need to get a fan or air conditioner. A fan costs between N8, 500 – N25, 000 and air conditioner can be gotten between N80, 000 – N150, 000 depending on the house power.
Other equipment include:
- Hair Relaxer: N500 – N2, 000
- Hair Combs (Set): N1, 000 – N3, 000
- Hair Conditioner: N800, 000 – N3, 000
- Barber Cap: N1, 000 – N4, 000
- Long Shaving Brush with Powder Slot: N1, 500 – N3, 000
- Professional Barbers Duster Brush: N1, 000 – N3, 000
- Human Hair Brush: N500 – N1, 500
- Barber’s Neck Strip: N1, 200 – N2, 000
- Neck Tissue Paper: N2, 000 – N3, 000
See Cost of Starting Other Businesses in Nigeria
- Cost of Starting a Bakery in Nigeria (2018)
- Cost of Starting a Radio or TV station in Nigeria (2018)
- Cost of Starting a Restaurant in Nigeria (2018)
- List of Barbing Salon Equipment & Prices in Nigeria (2018)