Biochemistry is one of the most underrated courses in Nigeria today. While the likes of Pharmacy and other medical professions have dominated the pharmaceutical market in recent years, courses like Biochemistry, which serve as basis to this field have been undertone. The dynamism of the course and the flexibility as a profession give Biochemists an edge in the labour market today.
How much do biochemists earn in Nigeria? This post answers that question. Here, we will take a look at how much biochemists earn in various fields.
Biochemists’ Salary in Nigeria
Salaries of biochemists, like most other professions in Nigeria today, vary according to their respective industries. Level of experience and company are also common factors that affect the basic salaries of biochemists today.
Here, we will consider how much biochemists in different industries earn, emphasizing on how much the companies in the industry pay their entry-level staffs.
Medical Biochemistry is one of the most looked into section of this field. This sphere also rate among the most lucrative in the line of Biochemistry. Medical or Clinical biochemists work in hospitals, laboratories and most of the time, work with pharmacists.
They are highly rated in Nigerian hospitals and are sometimes placed in almost similar level as medical lab scientists. Biochemists in government hospitals earn between N120, 000 – N180, 000 for a start while their counterpart in private institutions earn between N50, 000 – N120, 000.
Oil and Gas
The oil and gas sector is one sphere that accommodates a lot of specialists and biochemists are not exempted. Biochemists, along with Chemists and sometimes, Biologists, in the oil and gas industry work with crude oil and the products extracted from it.
Chemical engineers also play similar play a role in the science, technology, and overall development, which is vital for the petroleum and petrochemical industries. Entry level Biochemists in this field earn between N200, 000 and N400, 000 and the salary significantly increases with time and experience.
Biochemists also have a place in FMCG industries in Nigeria. Several organizations require the services of biochemists in Nigeria and while some of these institutions pay relatively well, some other do not. Biochemists are needed in Pharmaceutical industries, chemical industries, oil and gas industries and other chemical-related industries. The salaries here are quite relative to the industry. For instance, some oil and gas companies pay entry-level biochemists as much as N300, 000 while some other industries like Pharmaceutical industries pay as low as N80, 000. On the average though, FMCGs pay biochemists between N70, 000 – N350, 000.
The Education sector has seen more number of Biochemists enter into the sector in recent years. They work as lecturers and laboratory staffs. While this does not sound like so much money is involved, some of these professions earn even much more than their colleagues in the FMCG and other industries. In the education sector, biochemists earn between N70, 000 – N150, 000 for a start depending on the year of experience and qualification.
Biochemistry is one of the most dynamic and flexible fields in Nigeria today. The fact that they can work in diverse industries open them to unlimited opportunities. With Nigeria now beginning to appreciate the impact of biochemist is various industries, the future of the field and profession looks great and steady.
Biochemistry: What You Should Know About the Profession
Because of the unconvincing economic situation of Nigeria at the moment, some professions have gained edge over others. It is easy for professionals in certain fields like medicine, Pharmacy, Petroleum engineering, and other similar course to find job placement after school while some other courses require extra certifications to stand a chance of competing in the professional market. With Biochemistry now appreciated in lots of fields, it is becoming easier for biochemists to get a job placement after school, especially when he or she finished with a good grade in the university.
Most of the time though, it isn’t always about the job, the salary also matters. The good news is, there are jobs; the not-too-good news is, not all the jobs pay well. This problem is not only limited to Biochemistry though, most other professions today deal with this challenge and it is a factor that doesn’t look any better. Regardless, there are several companies that pay Biochemists well and rate them among the most important professions in the field.
How to Become a Biochemist in Nigeria
If you are looking to pursue a career in biochemistry, here are the core processes you are expected to follow to become a professional.
- Be Certified: It is essential you get necessary certificate if you want to be a biochemist in Nigeria. You are expected to have the obligatory SSCE certificate with at least a credit pass in the major science course including English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. You then strive to be admitted in a University or Polytechnic to study Biochemistry by writing the compulsory UTME examination and getting required cut-off mark. Typically, the duration for the course is 4 – 5 years depending on the institution. You will get a bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry.
- National Youth Service Corps: NYSC is a one-year service year where you are expected to serve your motherland. Ideally, you will be posted to a related firm, which can be a hospital, pharmaceutical company or any other related companies in the area you are posted to.
Salaries of Other Professionals in Nigeria
- Housemanship Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Biochemists’ Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Web Developers’ Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Microbiologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Civil Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Level 8 Salary in Nigeria (2019): See How Much Is Paid
- Geologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Chevron Nigeria Salary: See How Much They Pay in 2019?
- Civil Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2019): Full Details
- Biomedical Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Nurses Salary in Nigeria (2019): How Much Are They paid?
- Anatomists’ Salary in Nigeria in 2019: See What They Earn
- NNPC Salary Structure: How Much Does NNPC Pay? (2019)
- Senators’ Salary in Nigeria – (2019) Full Breakdown
- How Much Do Models Earn in Nigeria?
- Pharmacists Salary in Nigeria (2019): See What They Earn
- Public Health Salary in Nigeria (2019): Is It Worth It?
- Investment Bankers’ Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Medical Doctors’ Salaries in Nigeria (2019): See What They Earn
- Petroleum Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Radiographers’ Salary in Nigeria (2019): See What They Earn
- Nigerian Pilot Salary: See How Much They Earn (2019)
- Mass Communication Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Mechanical Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2019)
- Dentists’ Salary in Nigeria (2019): See What They Earn
- Geologist Salary in Nigeria (2019)