“If you are saying education is expensive, try ignorance”.
This quote is one of the most popular you hear scholars say when they try to explain the importance of education. No doubt, when it comes to education, you have to as well consider the costs and not just the mental sacrifice. One thing is for sure, education can be expensive, and that is a general perspective all over the world.
But the good news is, most countries, including Nigeria, have made education quite affordable for their people. While we are past the generation of free education in Nigeria, the Federal Government still deserves some applause for maintaining a high level of Education that comes at a very affordable cost. However, some Federal and State universities are still way more expensive than others.
One of the main factors young people consider before selecting a tertiary institution to attend is the tuition they would have to pay every session. Federal institutions in Nigeria are undoubtedly cheap compared to state-owned Universities.
While private universities are on a class of their own when it comes to school fees, most young people have rather settled for federal and state-owned Universities. After all, most people claim they get superior education with standard learning cultures in federal and state-owned Universities at a far cheaper and affordable rate.
Here, we will take a look at the ten cheapest federal universities in Nigeria. We will rate these schools based on the average tuition the students pay every year. Dues to the variation in school fees per faculty (or department in some schools), we will focus on the average fees they pay, which encompasses all faculties.
- The Cheapest Federal Universities in Nigeria
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- University of Ibadan, Ibadan
- University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- University of Benin, Benin City
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Calabar, Calabar
- National Open University of Nigeria
- University of Abuja, Abuja, FCT
- See school fees of other institutions in Nigeria
The Cheapest Federal Universities in Nigeria
In no particular order, here are the cheapest federal universities in Nigeria.
Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
Known for its very fast academic calendar, Federal University of Agriculture is widely regarded as one of the best Universities in Nigeria. Apart from the fact that this institution boasts of top-notch infrastructure, its tuition fees per department is amazingly cheap. FUNAB is one the three Universities of Agriculture in the nation, standing tall as one of the best and most sort after. Some faculties in the department pay as low as N18,250 will some pay up to N33,000.
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
This University will not stop advancing. Its standard learning culture and excellent calibre of lectures is enough to attract anyone to the university. Having the regarded as the best University in Northern Nigeria by many, ABU has maintained her excellent status and undoubtedly remains one of the best universities in the nation. You might be surprised that the school fees of the prestigious institution also very cheap; ranging from N20,000 to N33,000, depending on the department.
University of Ibadan, Ibadan
What baffles people the most about this university is the way at which they have maintained steady excellent academic record since its establishment in 1948. It has maintained its status as the first and arguably one of the best universities in Nigeria till date. The university boasts of the institution with one of the highest numbers of professors in West Africa and remains one of the most sorts after schools according to UTME. The tuition fees ranges from N20,000 to N35,000.
University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos
You would expect a university situated at the heart of the most popular city in West Africa to be relatively expensive. Interestingly, it isn’t. In fact, UNILAG is one of the cheapest tertiary institutions in Nigeria. The University, which also maintains a top educational standard, remains among the three most sort after institution in Nigeria. Some departments pay tuition as low as N14,500 while some others pay as high as N65,000.
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
The school that combines charisma with swagger while maintaining an outstandingly amazing academic standard. The school’s pride is consistently boosted by the crop of successful alumni the institution keeps producing to add to the already plenty well-known names already in their archive. It is no cheat that the school is among the most rated in the nation. The school offers one of the cheapest tuition fees in the country. While most faculties pay between N19,500 and N30,000, some few other faculties pay as high as N65,000.
University of Benin, Benin City
The University of Benin is one of the first generation universities in Nigeria. Since its establishment in 1970, this reputable institution has maintained a learning culture that is enviable and appreciable. They are among the few institutions that proudly boast of a great number of professors in their radar. The school’s social life is wonderful, with only University of Lagos and a few other universities boasting of a similar social-academic chemistry. The University is also one of the most affordable when it comes to school fees. Tuition ranges between N13,000 and N49,000 depending on the course.
Bayero University, Kano
Probably the least popular university on this list, that doesn’t stop the fact that this Northern university remains among the best universities in Nigeria. The university is strategically located at the heart of the most populous state in the nation. The school fees ranges from N26,000 to N40,000, depending on the faculty.
University of Calabar, Calabar
This university might not be among the top 5 best universities in Nigeria, but it surely is good enough to be one of the most sort after in the region. Their educational standard is appreciable and the learning environment is serene. The school’s tuition fee ranges between N30,000 to N42,000 per session, depending on the faculty.
National Open University of Nigeria
This Federal Open and Distant Learning institution is the first of its kind in the nation. Since its establishment in 1983, this institution has been a success. The tuition fee ranges from N36,000 to N41,000.
University of Abuja, Abuja, FCT
Located at the heart of the nation, University of Abuja is regarded as one of the universities with nice learning cultures in the country. The school has earned special praise for its Faculty of Law, boasting of one of the most organized Student Representative Councils in the country. The tuition is between N39,300 and N42,300 depending on the faculty.
See school fees of other institutions in Nigeria
- 10 Cheapest Federal Universities in Nigeria (2019)
- ABU Zaria School Fees & Registration Fees (2019)
- Adeleke University School Fees (2019)
- Babcock University School Fees (2019)
- Bowen University School Fees (2019)
- Caleb University School Fees (2019)
- Cost of Master’s Degree in Nigerian Universities (2019)
- Cotonou Universities & School Fees (2019)
- Covenant University School Fees (2019)
- Ekiti State University School Fees (2019)
- FCE Kano School Fees (2019)
- Federal University Gashua School Fees & Courses (2019)
- FUOYE School Fees – 2019 Session
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University School Fees & Courses (2019)
- Kaduna State University School Fees (2019)
- Kano State University (KUST) School Fees in 2019
- Kwara State Polytechnic School Fees (2019)
- Lagos Business School Fees in 2019
- Lagos State Polytechnic School Fees (2019)
- Lagos State University School Fees (2019) for Undergraduates
- LAUTECH School Fees for Undergraduates & Courses (2019)
- List of Polytechnics in Nigeria & Their School Fees (2019)
- Nasarawa State University School Fees (2019)
- National Open University of Nigeria School Fees (2019)
- NDA School Fees (2019)
- OAU School Fees (2019) for Undergraduates & Postgraduates
- Ondo State University of Medical Sciences School Fees (2019)
- Osun State University School Fees (2019)
- Private Universities in Abuja & their School Fees (2019)
- School Fees of Private Universities in Nigeria (2019)
- Schools of Nursing in Nigeria & Their School Fees (2019)
- Sokoto State University School Fees (2019)
- UI DLC School Fees (2019)
- UNIBEN Postgraduate School Fees (2019)
- UNILAG Part Time School Fees (2019)
- UNILAG Postgraduate School Fees (2019)
- UNILAG School Fees for Undergraduates (2019)
- UNILORIN School Fees 2019 (Undergraduate & Postgraduate)
- UNIPORT School Fees in 2019
- University of Abuja School Fees (2019)
- University of Ibadan School Fees (2019)
- University of Nigeria School Fees (2019)
- UNN Postgraduate School Fees in 2019