The Nigerian International passport (e-passport) is the main and only document that confirms that you are a citizen of Nigeria.
It is also a means of identification and an important document for international travel. The Nigerian Immigration Service is responsible for processing the international passport.
Cost of Nigerian International Passport
The Nigeria Immigration Service announced in 2019 that the registration and issuance of the new international passport would cost N70,000. Its issuance commenced on Monday, March 4, 2019.
The new international passport comes with the following advantages:
- Up to 10-year validity
- self-tracking of visa applications
- enhanced durability with polycarbonate technology
Here are the current official prices of the Nigerian international passport based on the number of pages and validity period:
- 64-page Nigeria International Passport (10 years validity) == N70,000
- 64-page Nigeria International Passport (5 years validity) == N35,000
- 32-page Nigeria International Passport (5 years validity) == N25,000
Unfortunately, it’s almost impossible for the average Nigerian to get an international passport at these official prices. Currently, Nigerians pay the following unofficial rates to get a passport:
- 64-page Nigeria International Passport (10 years validity) == N150,000 – N250,000
- 64-page Nigeria International Passport (5 years validity) == N80,000 – N150,000
- 32-page Nigeria International Passport (5 years validity) == N60,000 – N100,000
How much you’d pay (unofficial price) for your passport would depend on a number of factors which include location, how “connected” you are, and how urgently you want your passport processed and made available for pickup.
Requirements for Nigerian International Passport
Below is an overview of the documents you need when applying for your international passport.
If you’re applying for a standard passport, you will need the following
- Local Government letter of identification.
- Birth certificate / age declaration.
- 2 recent colour passport photographs
- Guarantor’s form sworn to before a commissioner of Oaths / Magistrate / High Court Judge
- Parents’ letter of consent for minors under 16 years
- Marriage certificate where applicable
- Police report incase of lost passport
If you’re applying for the official passport, you will need the following:
- Letter of introduction from appropriate State Government, Federal Government Ministry / Organization.
- Marriage certificate where applicable
- Police report in case of lost passport
- Letter of appointment / last promotion
You can make your payment online during your application process.
Nigerian International Passport: How to Pay Online
- Visit the home page of the Nigeria Immigration Portal
- Locate & click on the appropriate application form to start the process:
- Select a passport type “Standard e-Passport” OR “Official e-Passport”, then click on ‘Start Application’ button.
- Fill the Application form; check the ‘I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS FORM’ check box then click the “PRINT” Button to print filled form.
- Submit your application and view ‘Applicant details page’
- Click on “Proceed to Online Payment”
- Click to select Payment Currency “Pay in Naira” or “Pay in Dollars” option then Click on ‘Continue’ button
- Choose the currency you want to use for payment (Naira or US Dollars) and select the payment method. You can either pay with your credit or debit.
- If you intend to pay through Credit/Debit card, select “Credit/Debit card” and click continue. You will be required to fill in your log-in credentials. After filling in, click “Login” button and you will be sent to the payment portal. For proceeding with the payment click the “PAY” button. Payment portal display application details, click on “Continue” button. You will be prompted to “Value Card” payment page, provide information of your card & Click on “OK” button After payment, the “Validation Number” is generated. Store it and use it to confirm the payment. You can also print a receipt by clicking the “Print the Receipt” button. After payment, the bank will issue an ‘approved payment platform provider’ receipt that contains a “Validation Number”. You will need this “Validation Number” for confirmation of payment on the portal.
- If you selected the option to pay at a bank, select “Bank”and click continue and view the list of participating banks and then click on ‘Continue’. You will be notified to click the button “Print Acknowledgment.” The acknowledgement slip comprises the Transaction ID, Application ID & Reference Number. You can take this to the participating bank and make the necessary payment.
- If you reside outside Nigeria and you have selected a processing country other than Nigeria, your payment will be in US Dollars. You will be re-directed to an approved payment platform to complete your application and make your payment in US Dollars.
- After payment, you can take your receipt with the validation number to the NIS portal for confirmation of payment. You can follow the steps below:
- Go to the “Query your Application Payment Status” and enter your Passport Application ID and Reference No.
- If a “Validation Number” field appears, please enter the number from your ‘approved payment platform provider’ receipt. Remember: Validation Number has been generated after payment through Bank also.
- Click the “Search Record” button and you will be sent to the “Applicant’s Details” page where a date for your interview has been generated.
- You can now print a Receipt or an Acknowledgement Slip by using the buttons on this page. (You will need them for your interview).
- You will be presented with your NIS e-receipt or Acknowledgement Slip in a new window. Click on “Print” button to send a copy to the printer.
Once your payment is confirmed, you can proceed for the interview with your relevant documents. You can access your interview schedule, final e-receipt and acknowledgment slip using your Validation Number.
When going for the interview, you should take your NIS e-Receipt along with you.
You can print the receipt by clicking on the ‘Query your application payment status’ link. Select ‘Passport’ on the next page as an option under the ‘Application Type’ drop down. Fill in your Application ID, Reference Number and Validation Number (if applicable) and submit the details.
At this point, your full application details shall be returned then scroll down the page and click on ‘Print receipt.’ You will be presented with your NIS e-receipt in a new window. You can now click on ‘Print this receipt’ to send a copy to the printer.
Also, you need to generate your Passport Guarantor’s Form which you will also present. You can generate it by following these steps:
- Click on passport guarantor’s form at the home page of the Nigeria Immigration Service
- Enter reference and id number generated on the acknowledgment slip
- Click Print to print out first page and next to print out second page (You will still be required to click the Print button)
After you application, the documents you’re expected to take with you to the passport office include:
- Acknowledgment slip & payment receipt plus 2 recent photographs are applicable in all cases
- Copy of duly completed application form
- Printed and signed application forms to Passport office and
- Photocopy of Data page of Nigerian standard Passport of your guarantor and Driving License or National Identity Card
See related stuff
- How much is Dubai Visa in Nigerian Naira in 2023
- Kuwait Visa Costs in Nigeria (2023)
- Germany Visa Fees in Nigeria (2023)
- Cost of Australian Visa in Nigeria (2023)
- Cost of International Passport in Nigeria (2023)
- Turkey Visa Fee in Nigeria (2023)
- South Africa Visa Fees in Nigeria (2023)
- Cost of Visa from Nigeria to Canada (2023)
This is to appreciate all the listed and detailed information giving. Kindly give us update from time to time. I wish to work in Germany as social worker soon. Thank you all.
Thanks for the detailed and up to date information made available to the public using your initiatives.
More grace to your elbow.
I really appreciate the above information given above. I need the international passport for the registration to my SAT exam.
Thanks for the info but will NIS doing it at the above stated prices, currently am at the NIS awka chapter Anambra state and the officers are stating it will not be less than 70k that the prices mentioned are just for formality sake.
My question is how truth is the info
Yes, that’s the price of the new Nigerian passport launched in January 2019.
If it was launched this year why are some officers telling me that its 31,000 for 32pages at passport office in festac. i dont understand why is that?
It’s because they are still issuing the old one. The new one won’t be issued until April/May.
How long will it take to have the new one
Can i use the old one for traveling abroad to study?
What is the price of international passport in 2022
How much is international passport in Nigeria
Nigerian government which way international passport which supposed to be the birth right of every citizen of Nigeria is 70k, while minimum wage is still struggling to settle at 30k. May God help us in this country
Pls editor, I want to know if the old passport with five years validity will still be useful once they start issuing d new one with ten years validity. Because am processing my travelling documents now. Pls i want to know. Thanks.
Yes, the old one would still be acceptable since it’s not yet expired.
Good morning , plz where can I locate their office and for the 64 pages how much would it cost.
Pls, this is my first time I want to apply for international passport. Can u help me sir?
Please I Need An International PassPort To School In Cotonou, How Much Does It Cost I’m In Kogi State.
Please u need help
what’s the price for visa from Nigeria to Germany….
Sir, I want to be clarified, If I undertake applying for the passport by myself. Will they accept at the office? Because many agent are there looking for lion share
Pls can I apply for the international passport without having the Nigerian National ID card
Can i go for the old one as the one that i have is expired since November last year, and i won’t to do renewal this month, is it possible
How much is renewal of the old Nigeria international passport. As at today.
Please editor i want to how much is renewer passport cost now, my got expired since 2012 July
How long does it take to get the new one?
So can I still do passport with 5 years validity and how much
Thanks for the education.
For an old passport that expired 3 years ago, is it better to go for a renewal or process a new one?
Thank for the information pls I really need ur help. The problem is that I renewed my passport of April this year in ikoyi I pass 33K for the agent and I did my capturing that day them said as at dt time d booklet is not available. Sir till now I never collect my passport I not really understand what is happen them just keep telling me Co.e today Come tomorrow plz plz sir enligth what is really happen is it I was scam? Am waiting to see ur feedback sir it very urgent thank God bless u.
Please do I really need national identity card to make an international passport? What is the exact cost of making a passport?
I want to process my E-passport and I don’t know how to go about it
Please, how much will it cost me to complete a guarantor’s form, this commissioner for oaths and stamp duty?
Good day sir sorry I won’t to renew my passport and I don’t have the old passport but I have the passport number how can I get it fast and how much will that cost me
Hello editor, please I want to you to do the brake down of the new passport, I want to do my passport now and am hearing different prices from different people. I don’t to fall into their traps, please I want to u highlight it for me sir. Thanks.
Pls what’s the current price of international passport in Nigeria ?
Thanks for d information
I want to do this visa passport but don’t know agent to meet and I don’t want to enter wrong person ✋ pls any help
I had a change of name few years back and I want to update it on my passport. How do I go about it.
Please help with ur ideas