It is easy to see why dentistry is among the most coveted professions in the modern world. Apart from the fact that there is a natural special swagger that accompanies experts in the field, the monthly take-home is also quite impressive. Dentistry is one of the few courses in Nigeria today that almost guarantees automatic employment for professionals, either in a privately owned or a government-controlled hospital or dental clinic.
Do you want to know how much dentists earn in Nigeria? Amazing! You are on the right page. In this post, we will take a look at how much dentists earn in the country. We will consider the average salaries of dentists that work in government hospitals and dental clinics. We will also have a glance through how much dentists in private hospitals and clinics earn.
Average Salaries of Dentists in Nigeria
Dentistry may not be the highest paying profession in Nigeria today, but it surely ranks up there among the most appreciated and respected. Just like Medicine, dentists are almost certainly guaranteed a place in hospitals and clinics and also enjoy reasonable pay. Their pay is as suiting as the regards they get in society today.
Salaries of dentists vary per place of work, year of experience and sometimes location. On the average, entry-level dentists earn N140, 000 – N200, 000 (for a start) in private hospitals in Nigeria while dentists in government hospitals earn about N180, 000 – N280, 000. In addition, dentists in federal hospitals earn more than those in state hospitals. The salary structure is dependent on many factors.
How to Become a Dentist in Nigeria
Are you aspiring to be a dentist in Nigeria? Well then, there are some basic steps you need to take to be certified as one. Here, we will consider the steps involved in becoming a dentist.
It is essential you get the needed certificate if you want to be a standard dentist in Nigeria. You are required to have the obligatory SSCE certificate with at least a credit pass in the major science course including English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. You then strive to be admitted to a University. Normally, the duration for the nursing program is between 5 – 6 years in the University.
This is the first phase after graduating from medical school. The house job is a required one-year service where newly inducted dentists have the chance to work on a professional level with other medical personnel. How much hospitals pay house officers or interns vary. On average, house officers are paid between N120, 000 – N180, 000 depending on the hospital.
Dental house officers working in a Federal hospital or teaching hospital usually earn more than those in the State hospital. Medical school (dentists) graduates have found their chances for residency placement limited in recent times due to the large chunk of dentists being inducted every year from various medical schools. The taut competition for a house job slot has led some hospitals to conduct paper test for prospective medical doctors and dentists so they can rationalize the number of candidates.
Dentists are expected to go for the obligatory National Youth Service Corps program after their house job. Here, dentists are posted to local hospitals or teaching hospitals within the state they are deployed. Just like during house job, the remuneration medical doctors and dentists receive vary greatly and depends on some reasons including the location, the state and whether the hospital is Federal, State-owned or private. Hospitals pay medical doctors between N50, 000 – N120, 000 through NYSC.
Some others even work or free, resolving for just Federal Government monthly allowance. Most people often prefer to work in a private hospital during their service year. This is because most private hospitals pay more during this period and the majority of Federal and State hospitals do not pay at all.
Universities That Offer dentistry in Nigeria
- Bayero University, Kano
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- University Of Benin, Benin City
- University Of Calabar, Calabar
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
- University Of Lagos
- University Of Maiduguri
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka
- University Of Port-Harcourt
What You Should Know About Dentistry
Dentists help their patients guard, restore and maintain their overall oral health. They identify and treat diseases, and manage care to injuries and deformities of the teeth, oral tissues and the mouth.
These professionals also check a patient’s head and neck areas as they relate to oral health. Dentists employ a variety of procedures and equipment to prevent and treat oral health problems. The experts use advanced technologies to scan the teeth and mouth, including X-rays and computer-generated imaging. They also fill holes and remove tooth decay using brushes, forceps, and drills.
Generally, dentistry is one of those fields you go into with a significantly high affinity you will get a job after university. Apart from the fact that the place of dentists in the community cannot be overstated. These professionals tend to be on incomes significantly higher than many other professions.
For lovers of biological sciences and other related spheres, dentistry comes as a bonus, with much focus of the field dedicated to focusing on human dentition and the head as a whole. When it comes to the admiration of professions, dentistry is among the most appreciated professions in the world and it is easy to see why lots and lots more people develop an interest in the profession in recent times.
- TV Presenters Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Geologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Mass Communication Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Microbiologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Pharmacists Salary in Nigeria (2022): See What They Earn
- Civil Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Housemanship Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Mechanical Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- How Much is the Nigerian Navy Salary? (June 2022)
- Public Health Salary in Nigeria (2022): Is It Worth It?
- Petroleum Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Anatomists’ Salary in Nigeria in 2022: See What They Earn
- Chevron Nigeria Salary: See How Much They Pay in 2022?
- Senators’ Salary in Nigeria – (2022) Full Breakdown
- Medical Doctors’ Salaries in Nigeria (2022): See What They Earn
- Nurses Salary in Nigeria (2022): How Much Are They paid?
- NNPC Salary Structure: How Much Does NNPC Pay? (2022)
- Biochemists’ Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Nigerian Pilot Salary: See How Much They Earn (2022)
- Biomedical Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Geologist Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Web Developers’ Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- How Much Do Models Earn in Nigeria?
- How Much Do Taxify Drivers Make Weekly in Nigeria? (2022)
- Level 8 Salary in Nigeria (2022): See How Much Is Paid
- Civil Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2022): Full Details
- KPMG Nigeria Salary: See How Much They Pay
- How Much Does Bolt Charge per KM in Nigeria? [(year)]
- Radiographers’ Salary in Nigeria (2022): See What They Earn
- Investment Bankers’ Salary in Nigeria (2022)
- Dentists’ Salary in Nigeria (2022): See What They Earn
- Salary of Optometrists in Nigeria (2022)
- How Much Does Uber Pay Car Owners in Nigeria? (2022)