The medicine profession is regarded among the best and most profitable professions for all the right reasons. The pride of being a medical doctor is one of the thousand reasons students try their very best to be enrolled in the medical school.
Apart from the fact that the profession has attracted lots of parents and students with its level of complexity and delicacy and high competition getting into medical school, the profession is one of those few fields you are almost guaranteed a job after school; and with mouth-watering basic salaries and bonuses. You still wonder why lots of young people desire to be a doctor?
The medicine profession is one of the noble and most coveted professions in Nigeria and it is easy to see why. Pride and respect apart, the end of the month take home of Medical Doctors is scintillating. Although they no longer rate among the best paying professions in Nigeria, they still stand right there among the most respected and well-paying professions in the country.
Do you want you want to know how much Medical Doctors earn in Nigeria? Great! You are on the right page. In this post, we will take a look at how much medical doctors earn in the country. We will consider the average salaries of doctors that work in government hospitals and teaching hospitals. We will also have a glance through how much doctors in private hospitals earn.
- Doctors’Salary: How Much Do Doctors Earn in Nigeria?
- Housemanship Salary in Nigeria
- NYSC Doctors’ Salary in Nigeria
- Post-NYSC Doctor’s Salaries in Nigeria
- Salaries of Medical Doctors in Government Hospitals/Teaching Hospitals
- Salaries of Medical Doctors in Private Hospitals
- Check Salaries of Other Professionals in Nigeria
Doctors’Salary: How Much Do Doctors Earn in Nigeria?
If you are still in the school of thought that all medical doctors are earning big, you may need to reconsider your stand. Although the medical profession remains among the best paying profession in Nigeria, not all medical doctors are enjoying the trend as most people think. Generally, private hospitals and clinics don’t pay Medical Doctors as much as the Federal or State Government. With the number of medical professionals increasing by the day, Medical Doctors have found their chances at Government hospitals significantly limited, leaving them to settle for private hospitals and clinics.
The salary structure for Medical Doctors is regulated by two bodies – Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS) which is for hospitals and Consolidated University Academic structure (CONAUSS) for medical Doctors in the academic sector. Let us now take a quick look at how much medical doctors earn after completing medical school.
Housemanship Salary in Nigeria
This is the first phase after graduating from medical school. The house job is a compulsory one-year service where newly inducted medical doctors have the opportunity to work on a professional level with other medical doctors. The great news is, they start earning from this point. How much hospitals pay house officers or interns differ.
On the average, house officers are paid between N160, 000 – N200, 000 depending on the hospital. House officers working in a Federal hospital or teaching hospital usually earn more than those in the State hospital. Medical school graduates have found their chances for internship placement limited in recent times due to the large chunk of medical doctors being inducted every year from various medical schools. The stiff competition for a house job slot has led some hospitals to conduct paper test for prospective medical doctors so they can streamline the number of candidates.
NYSC Doctors’ Salary in Nigeria
Medical doctors are expected to go for the compulsory National Youth Service Corps scheme after their house job. Here, medical doctors are posted to local hospitals or teaching hospitals with the state they are deployed. Just like during house job, the stipend medical doctors receive vary heavily and depends on some factors including the location, the state and whether the hospital is Federal, State-owned or private. On average, hospitals pay medical doctors between N50, 000 – N150, 000 during NYSC. Some others even work or free, settling for just Federal Government monthly allowance.
Post-NYSC Doctor’s Salaries in Nigeria
Salaries for medical Doctors after NYSC varies. Although regulated by CONMESS and CONAUSS, there is still a considerable difference between salaries of Doctors in Government hospitals and private clinics. The salaries vary depending on level of experience and qualification.
Post-NYSC doctors are started on a salary between N220,000 and N265,000, depending on whether they are employed by the Federal government or state government. This salary is the same for post-NYSC doctors who are employed as medical officers or those who are just starting their residency programme (registrars).
Private hospitals pay between N120, 000 – N250, 000 for resident doctors while Government hospitals pay between N190, 000 – N280, 000 for junior resident doctors. Also, Consultants generally earn between N600, 000 – N900, 000 per month. Here is a breakdown of how much medical doctors earn per level of experience.
Salaries of Medical Doctors in Government Hospitals/Teaching Hospitals
- Medical officers: N180, 000 – N600,000 (or even more, but depends on grade level)
- Resident Doctors: N220, 000 – N270,000 (registrars)
- Resident Doctors: N260,000 – N350,000 (senior registrars)
- Consultants: N450,000 – N650,000 (for fresh consultants. Senior consultants earn more)
Salaries of Medical Doctors in Private Hospitals
- Medical Officers: N60,000 – N150,000
- Resident Doctors: N120, 000 – N250, 000
- Consultants: N400, 000 – N600, 000
Check Salaries of Other Professionals in Nigeria
- Civil Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2020): Full Details
- Level 8 Salary in Nigeria (2020): See How Much Is Paid
- Senators’ Salary in Nigeria – (2020) Full Breakdown
- Biochemists’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- KPMG Nigeria Salary: See How Much They Pay
- Biomedical Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Microbiologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Nigerian Pilot Salary: See How Much They Earn (2020)
- NNPC Salary Structure: How Much Does NNPC Pay? (2020)
- Radiographers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020): See What They Earn
- Chevron Nigeria Salary: See How Much They Pay in 2020?
- Civil Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- How Much Do Models Earn in Nigeria?
- Mechanical Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Petroleum Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Dentists’ Salary in Nigeria (2020): See What They Earn
- Geologist Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Public Health Salary in Nigeria (2020): Is It Worth It?
- Housemanship Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Anatomists’ Salary in Nigeria in 2020: See What They Earn
- Salary of Optometrists in Nigeria (2020)
- Medical Doctors’ Salaries in Nigeria (2020): See What They Earn
- Pharmacists Salary in Nigeria (2020): See What They Earn
- Nurses Salary in Nigeria (2020): How Much Are They paid?
- Mass Communication Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Investment Bankers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Geologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- TV Presenters Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Web Developers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)