Doxycycline is gradually becoming one of the most sought-after antibiotics in the medical world today. This medicine is used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections, which include bacteria that cause acne. Doxycycline is also used to avert malaria. It is generally known as a tetracycline antibiotic and works by discontinuing the growth of bacteria.
With the importance and usefulness of Doxycycline already established, this post takes a look at how much it goes for in Nigeria today.
Price of Doxycycline in Nigeria
Doxycycline is available in various types, brands and milligram, which makes it quite difficult to estimate how much the drug goes for. Depending on the type and brand, doxycycline is available in packs and sachets and vary in the number of capsules.
You can get a sachet of Doxycycline for as low as N100 or as high as N1,000 depending on the brand, milligram and the number of pills in the sachet. For branded pills, a sachet of 100 mg of Doxycycline costs between N600 – N1, 000.
Uses of Doxycycline
Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic that helps combat bacteria in the body. The medication is used to treat wide range of bacterial infections, which usually include acne, urinary tract infections, intestinal infections, respiratory infections, eye infections, gonorrhoea, chlamydia, syphilis, periodontitis and other bacteria-related diseases.
Doxycycline is also used to fight blemishes, bumps, and acne-like grazes caused by rosacea. It should be noted that the drug will not treat facial redness triggered by rosacea. In some cases, some types of doxycycline are used to prevent malaria, to treat anthrax, or to cure infections caused by mites or lice.
It is important for patients to note that doxycycline should not be taken by those allergic to any tetracycline antibiotic. Also, children below the age of 8 years should use doxycycline only in cases of severe or grave conditions. This is because the medicine can cause permanent staining of the teeth in children. Using doxycycline during pregnancy could also harm to the foetus or cause permanent tooth staining later in the baby’s life.
How to Use Doxycycline
Doxycycline is a delicate medicine and should be used exactly as prescribed by the doctor. It is very important to follow all instructions on your medicine label.
Do not take this medication in greater or smaller amounts or for lengthier period than recommended. It is also worth noting that you are expected to drink plenty of liquids, water especially, while you are taking this drug.
Depending on the brand of doxycycline you are using, you may take the drug with food or milk if the medicine upsets your stomach. Some, you can even take on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal.
In cases where you are taking doxycycline to prevent malaria, you are expected to start taking the medicine at least one or two days before going into a place you are prone to have malaria. You should also continue to take the drug every day through your stay at the location. It is also advisable to continue with the drug at least 4 weeks after leaving the place. You can also use shielding clothing, insect repellents, and mosquito net around where you are sleeping to further prevent mosquito bites that could lead to malaria.
Use this medication for the full recommended length of time. Do not be worried as symptoms may increase before the infection is wholly cleared. Skipping dosages may also upsurge your risk of further contagion that is resilient to antibiotics.
Side Effects of Doxycycline
Almost all medicines have side effects. While the manner at which people react to drugs differ. It is always important to note the possible side effect of the medicine being used. For doxycycline, some patients have complained about some reactions they noted while using the drugs and after. While some of these side effects are temporal and not harmful, some others are long-lasting. Side effects like this are expected to be communicated to the medical doctor as soon as possible.
When patients start experiencing effects like hives, difficult breathing, swelling in your face or throat, severe skin reaction like fever, sore throat, burning in your eyes, skin pain, red or purple skin rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling, it is essential they report the case to their medical doctors with immediate effect.
Some of the common side effects patients have complained about include:
- nausea, vomiting,
- upset stomach
- loss of appetite
- mild diarrhoea
- skin rash or itching
- darkened skin color
- vaginal itching or discharge.
Patients who are allergic to doxycycline or other tetracycline antibiotics like demeclocycline, minocycline, tetracycline, or tigecycline, should not take the medicine. If there is a need to take the drug, they should discuss with their medical doctors.
Patients with the following conditions should discuss with their doctors before taking doxycycline:
- liver disease
- kidney disease;
- asthma or sulfite allergy;
- increased pressure inside your skull
Also, please discuss with your doctor if you take isotretinoin, seizure medicine, or a blood thinner such as warfarin.
It is also important for patients that are pregnant to discuss with their doctors before using the drug. Taking this medication during pregnancy may affect tooth and bone growth in the foetus. Taking the drug during the last half of pregnancy can lead to permanent tooth discoloration of the unborn baby. It can also have adverse effect on the foetus.
- Addyzoa Prices in Nigeria (May 2022) + Uses & Dose
- Lonart Prices in Nigeria (2022)
- Appeton Weight Gain Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Dostinex Prices in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Greenlife Product and Prices in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Augmentin Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Clomid Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Wellwoman Prices in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Spanish Gold Fly Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Prices of Vitamin E Oil & Capsule Prices in Nigeria (2022)
- Livolin Forte Prices in Nigeria (2022)
- Cost of Pregnacare in Nigeria (2022)
- Alpha Testo Boost Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Combination-3 Price in Nigeria (2022)
- Doxycycline Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Permethrin Cream Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Pregnacare Plus Price in Nigeria (2022)
- BF Suma Products Price List in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Cellgevity Price in Nigeria (2022) & Other Details
- Prices of Apple Cider Vinegar in Nigeria (2022)
- Wellkid Prices in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Azithromycin Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Neurovit Forte Prices in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Best Blood Tonics in Nigeria & Prices (May 2022)
- Cost of ARV in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Podophyllin Cream Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Double Stemcell Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Amoxicillin Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- P-Alaxin Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- Ulcer Kit (Ulsakit) Price in Nigeria (2022)
- Proargi9 Plus Price in Nigeria (May 2022)
- NeoLife Products Price List in Nigeria (May 2022)