Popcorn is one of the favorite snacks of Nigerians and people from all over the world. It has assumed this status because of several reasons such as being very easy to prepare and being easy to carry out. As such, you will see people selling and eating popcorn in traffic, serving popcorn at special occasions like birthday parties, and even buying popcorn to eat between meals.
The popcorn business is one of the most profitable small business ideas in Nigeria today. To engage in this business, you need to invest in a popcorn machine. There are different types of popcorn machines including electric popcorn machines, manual popcorn machines, and local popcorn machines. In this post, we will look at the latest local popcorn machine prices in Nigeria.
Local Popcorn Machine Prices in Nigeria
It is no secret that Nigerians are among the most innovative people on earth. We always find ways to make things work. As such, you find Nigerians fabricating all kinds of machines to simplify different processes including popcorn preparation. Electric automatic popcorn machines are quite costly. Nigerians have created an array of local popcorn machines to make it easy for the layman to enter the popcorn making business.
One of the things you must do when starting a business is to find out the cost of establishment. This includes the cost of getting your raw materials, paying for your business venue, and the machine you will use to manufacture your products. In the case of a popcorn business, that machine will be a popcorn machine.
As mentioned earlier, there are different types of popcorn machines out there. In this post, we will focus on the cost of a local popcorn machine. We have checked the market for the latest prices. Check below to find out how much it costs to buy a local popcorn machine:
- Locally fabricated popcorn machine: From ₦30,000
Kindly note that the price of the local popcorn machine depends on several factors. Some of these factors include:
- Combination of functions (machine versatility).
- Economic conditions like demand, government policies, availability and cost of raw materials, and so on.
Asides from the locally fabricated popcorn machine, there are several other popcorn machines on sale in Nigeria. We have also helped you to check the prices of these machines. See the list below to find out their prices:
- Electric Popcorn Maker Machine: ₦29,999 – ₦35,000
- Mini Home Electric Popcorn Maker Machine: ₦28,999
- Portable Popcorn Machine Home Use Hot Air Machine: ₦9,900
- Home Vintage Retro Electric Popcorn Maker Popper Countertop Machine: ₦33,500 – ₦35,500
- Panasonic Programmable Compact Bread Maker With Popcorn Function: ₦240,000 – ₦245,999
- Automatic Mini Electric Popcorn Machine – Red: ₦13,500 – ₦15,000
- Mini Popcorn Machine: ₦10,000 – ₦15,000
- Electric Mini Popcorn Maker Machine: ₦10,000
- Mini-joy Portable Home Use Hot Air Pop Corn Machine: ₦10,999 – ₦12,000
- Sokany Popcorn Maker Machine: ₦40,000 – ₦45,000
- 1200W Automatic Mini Electric Popcorn Machine: ₦10,000 – ₦15,000
- Efficient Production Popcorn Home Party Popcorn Machine: ₦46,373 – ₦52,746
- Sokany 3.5 Litre Popcorn Maker Machine: ₦36,000 – ₦39,000
- Sonifer Popcorn Maker Machine: ₦58,000 – ₦65,000
PRICES LAST UPDATED: MARCH 14, 2023.
As expected, the prices of these machines fluctuate frequently due to an array of market forces at play. We will keep checking for the latest prices and update this post accordingly to keep you abreast of the latest information about these products.
Some Popcorn Terminologies You Should Know
If you are going into the popcorn business, there are certain terminologies that you should have at your fingertips. Knowing these terminologies will help you thrive in this industry so that you can expand and become a more successful popcorn maker. We have put together some of these terminologies below:
Kernel is the name of the corn that is used in preparing popcorn. There are different types of kernels based on their colors and moisture content. To achieve optimal popping efficiency, you need to purchase kernels that have a moisture content between 13 percent and 14.5 percent. Truth be told, kernels with lower moisture content are not likely to pop to their maximum potential. They are likely going to produce more unpopped kernels than those with higher moisture content. On the other hand, kernels with higher moisture content are likely going to have more chewy products with limited expansion rates.
The expansion rate is the measurement of the popcorn servings popped from a specified amount of kernels. A typical example is a cup of kernels having an expansion rate of 35 will produce 35 cups of popcorn. According to experts, an expansion rate of between 35 and 40 is very good. Note that the higher the expansion rate of a kernel, the more the volume of the popped corn.
Usually, kernel size is measured as kernels per 10 grams (K/10 g). You have to measure 10 grams of popcorn against the number of kernels that you count to find out the kernel size of the popcorn. Kindly note that the higher the number of kernels, the smaller its kernel size. You should also note that the kernel size has no direct influence on the expansion rate of the kernels.
Best Oils for Making Popcorn
Asides from the kernels, another important raw material used in the preparation of popcorn is oil. Different people use different types of oils depending on their processes, preferences, and the flavor of popcorn they want to produce. Here are our best oils for making popcorn and their pros and cons:
- Mild and clean aroma and flavor.
- High monosaturated to saturated fat ratio.
- It will likely contain GMO ingredients.
- It contains high amounts of linoleic acid that can result in inflammation when consumed excessively.
- Most popular option for movie theater popcorn.
- It has a neutral aroma and flavor when properly refined.
- It contains a high amount of natural saturated fats to encourage the burning of fat.
- It can negatively affect the flavor of your seasonings.
- Virgin or unrefined coconut oil has a low smoke point.
Other types of oil used include:
- Avocado oil
- Sunflower oil
- Vegetable oil