Ever wondered why Nursing profession is one of the most sought after and followed professions in Nigeria? It is simple, it is regarded as one among the most reliable and secure professions in recent times. Remember those times when people that chose to pursue nursing profession were called lazy and seen as people that didn’t know what they were doing?
Those times when people didn’t see so many career opportunities in the Nursing field and that Nurses could be stranded after school? Well, there is nothing to remember because there was never a time like that. In fact, nursing profession is increasingly growing in depth, thereby expanding the opportunities for aspiring nurses.
Simply put, nursing profession is one of the no-brainers, especially considering the economic situation of the country. While the salary might not be as mouth-watering and enticing as so many other professions in Nigeria, nursing profession still has much more to offer in terms of happiness, fulfilment and pleasure, especially if you have flair for the career line.
Do you want to know more about the nursing profession? Do you want to know how much nurses earn and how to easily become one? You are on the right page, reading the right information. In this post, we will take a look at salaries of nurses in Nigeria. We will also take a look at basic steps to take to become a certified nurse. So, ladies and gentlemen, shall we?
Nurses Salary: How Much Do Nurses Earn in Nigeria?
For lots of reasons, nursing profession is regarded among the most noble and respect professions in the country. The profession has been in existence even before it was officially named “nursing”. The evolution of nursing profession has not only been epic, it has been welcomed far and near, embraced in every country and seen as one of the most important fields in every country. Although nurses work with medical doctors and other medical professionals, they can also work independently, especially in fields of midwifery and other specialized nursing career paths.
When it comes to their monthly take-home though, there is no much to admire about the career, especially given the difference in salary structures in various sectors. Compared to medical doctors and some other medical professionals, the salaries of nurses are not as scintillating. Like most other medical professions, salaries of nurses vary per level of experience and sector. Private universities pay lesser salaries compared to their counterparts in Government hospitals or teaching hospitals.
On the average, entry level nurses earn N60, 000 – N100, 000 in private hospitals in Nigeria while their counterpart in government hospitals earn about N100, 000 – N150, 000. It should be noted that nurses in federal hospitals earn more than those in state hospitals. The salary structure is dependent on many factors. The consoling par for nurses in federal and State hospitals is the bonuses and allowances. Nurses are entitled to several bonuses and allowances. They are also dependent on level of experience. For instance, senior level nurses earn more than entry level nurses and have better bonuses and allowances. Generally, the salary structure for Nurses is based on two main standards: Consolidated Health Salary Structure (CONHESS) which is for hospitals and Consolidated University Academic structure (CONAUSS) for Pharmacists in the academic sector.
Here is a breakdown of how much Pharmacists earn per level of experience.
Salaries of Nurses in Government Hospitals/Teaching Hospitals
- Entry level (0 – 2 years’ experience): N80, 000 – N150, 000 (Only few hospitals pay more than this)
- Mid-Level (2 – 5 years): N100, 000 – N180, 000
- Experienced (5 years and above): N150, 000 – N250, 000
Salaries of Nurses in Private Hospitals
- Entry level (0 – 2 years’ experience): N60, 000 – N100, 000
- Mid-Level (2 – 5 years): N70, 000 – N120, 000
- Experienced (5 years and above): N100, 000 – N180, 000
It should be noted that the salary stated above is the basic salary and it excludes bonuses and other allowances nurses are entitled to.
How to Become a Nurse in Nigeria
Are you interested in pursuing a profession in Nursing? Here we will take a quick look at processes involved in pursuing a career in nursing. Here is a step by step guide on how to become a nurse in Nigeria.
- Be Certified: It is essential you get necessary certificate if you want to be a recognized nurse in Nigeria. You are expected to have the compulsory SSCE certificate with at least a credit pass in the major science course including English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. You then strive to be admitted in a Nursing school or University. Typically, the duration for the nursing program is 3 years in Nursing school and 5 years in the University. You will get an associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or a bachelor’s degree (BSN)
- Internship: At the end of the program, you will be posted for a compulsory 1-year internship in a hospital where you will practise as a nurse and have the opportunity to relate with other professional nurses.
- National Youth Service Corps: NYSC is a one-year service year where you are expected to serve your motherland. Ideally, you will be posted to a hospital in the area you are posted to.
Check Salaries of Other Professionals in Nigeria
- Web Developers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Senators’ Salary in Nigeria – (2020) Full Breakdown
- How Much Do Models Earn in Nigeria?
- Public Health Salary in Nigeria (2020): Is It Worth It?
- Biochemists’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Microbiologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Mass Communication Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Mechanical Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Pharmacists Salary in Nigeria (2020): See What They Earn
- Petroleum Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Radiographers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020): See What They Earn
- NNPC Salary Structure: How Much Does NNPC Pay? (2020)
- Nurses Salary in Nigeria (2020): How Much Are They paid?
- Geologists’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Dentists’ Salary in Nigeria (2020): See What They Earn
- Housemanship Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Medical Doctors’ Salaries in Nigeria (2020): See What They Earn
- Civil Engineering Salary in Nigeria (2020): Full Details
- Civil Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Biomedical Engineers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Anatomists’ Salary in Nigeria in 2020: See What They Earn
- Chevron Nigeria Salary: See How Much They Pay in 2020?
- Level 8 Salary in Nigeria (2020): See How Much Is Paid
- Geologist Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Investment Bankers’ Salary in Nigeria (2020)
- Nigerian Pilot Salary: See How Much They Earn (2020)