Podophyllin Cream is one of the most popular ways of treating genital warts in this part of the world. It is very effective in dealing with warts, especially warts found around the anus. Podophyllin Cream is an over-the-counter drug so you can walk into any pharmacy or drug store to purchase it.
Even though you can purchase it freely, we still advise that you get it on a doctor’s prescription. This is important because this drug sometimes comes with side effects. If you are looking to purchase Podophyllin Cream in Nigeria, this post will put you through on the current prices.
Prices of Podophyllin Cream in Nigeria
There are three variants of this cream on the Nigerian market. These variants include:
You can purchase any of these to fix up your warts problem. We have made a list of the prices drawn from a survey of several online and physical vendors across Nigeria.
- Podophyllin Cream (20 grams) – N3,200 – N4,000
- Podophyllin Paint Podowart Fluid Skin Warts/Freckle/Spot – N3,999 – N4,500
- Podowart Podophyllin Resin Fluid for Stubborn Wart Freckles – N6,000 – N7,000
- UDL Union Podophyllin Warts Cream for Anus and Vagina – N3,999 – N4,500
- Podowart Podophyllin Fluid Skin Warts/Freckles/Spots/Tags – N6,000 – N7,000
Note that the prices may differ slightly depending on the vendor and location. Also, don’t forget that it is best to purchase this drug from a reliable pharmacy or drug store with a doctor’s prescription.
What is Podophyllin?
It is actually known as Podophyllin resin and it is derived from the root of Podophyllum peltatum. This plant is known to be native to Eastern North America. Podophyllin resin is an extract that is made up of several components including:
The first on the list is the most popular and has the most potency medically. This is why it has been used by Native Americans for several centuries for medicinal purposes.
How does Podophyllin Cream work and what are its uses?
Generally, Podophyllotoxin is regarded as an antimitotic. As such, Podophyllin Cream prevents wart cells from their regular operation of dividing and multiplying. What happens eventually is that the wart cells end up dying. Afterwards, healthy cells grow to replace the dead cells.
Before being used in the production of Podophyllin Cream, Podophyllotoxin was used to cure several conditions. These include:
- Treat deafness.
- As a laxative and purgative.
- Treat snake bites.
- Anthelmintic for treating worm infections.
Podophyllotoxin also possesses poisonous properties. Because of this, it was used as a suicidal potion. This drug should not be taken orally. Also, it shouldn’t be used on extensive warts (that is warts that exceed 10 square centimetres).
How to apply Podophyllin Cream
In this section, we will show you how to use this drug for optimal results. This is necessary especially when you are purchasing the drug online. You need to be very careful with Podophyllin Cream because it can destroy healthy skin cells as well. Take the steps below:
- Wash the affected part of the body thoroughly using soap and clean water.
- Dry the washed area with a clean cloth or towel.
- Get clean cotton wool or the cotton-tipped applicators in the pack and dip it in the cream. Now, use this to apply the cream to the affected part carefully.
- Apply Podophyllin Cream two times daily for three days consecutively. After this, leave the area for another four days. If the warts don’t drop off, you can apply the cream following the regimen suggested above. Do this for about 5 weeks successively. By this time, the warts should have fallen off completely.
- Ensure that the cream doesn’t touch the healthy part of your skin. Also, it should not come in contact with your eyes or mucous membranes. Never apply the cream to the internal part of the vagina, rectum, or penis. If it does, flush the area with water for at least 15 minutes.
- When there is local irritation of healthy skin from Podophyllin Cream flush the area with water for about 15 minutes. To avoid mistakes, apply some Vaseline to the surrounding healthy skin before applying Podophyllin Cream.
Side effects of Podophyllin Cream
Some of the common side effects of this cream include:
- Superficial ulceration
- Slight pain
- Redness of the skin
- Tenderness of the skin
In more severe cases, it could result in bleeding or burning of the skin, headaches, and dizziness. Sometimes, vomiting may occur. Once you notice any of these side effects, stop using the cream and reach your doctor immediately.