South Africa is a popular tourist and business destination and thousands of Nigerians travel to this beautiful country every year.
If you’re interested in joining the growing list of Nigerians visiting South Africa for business and tourist reasons, then you’re on the right page.
The first thing you should know is that the visa process to South Africa can be quite difficult if you don’t have the necessary information.
But we’ve decided to take away that bottle neck in the course of this post. As a result, you’ll discover how much South African visa cost and what the process entails.
Typically, every Nigerian passport holder requires a visitor’s visa prior to travelling to South Africa.
Also, applying early will save you a lot of stress and you can apply at least 4 weeks before you travel to allow for ample processing time.
You may not to apply for a visa if you belong to any of these categories
- Individuals who have South African passports need not apply for visas.
- Visitors who have passports from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including the British Islands Bailiwick of Guernsey and Jersey, Isle of Mann and Virgin Islands, the Republic of Ireland as well as British Overseas Territories) are totally exempt from South African visa control and do not need visas for any purpose.
- Visitors from certain other countries are exempt from the visa requirements under certain conditions.
South Africa Visa Fee in Nigeria
Visa Category | Visa Fee in Naira (+VAT)| Service Fee in Naira (+VAT)
- Short Term: Holiday Visa | ₦8,600 |₦25,470
- Long Term: Business Visa |₦30,600 | ₦25,470
If you request for passport courier service, that is an additional ₦4,500 per passport.
However, this visa fee is subject to change without notice as it is based on the current exchange rate.
You can pay your fee at the bank or you can at the pay cash at Bank Implant at VFS Global. When paying, you’re expected to present a copy of the first page of your passport at the bank.
During the process of visa application, you need to present some documents. Below is a summary of these requirements:
- A valid passport (validity of at least 30 days after the intended stay)
- Applicants travelling on official business should attach a letter of invitation/confirmation of training/conference, etc. from the relevant South African company with full details of the company’s authorised representative, physical address and phone numbers (landline number compulsory) must be included
- Application Form (BI84), fully completed in black ink only
- Birth certificate for minors/children travelling with parents
- A consent letter with copies of parents’ identification card/passport data page may also be needed for children not travelling with their parents
- Booking Verifiable Flight.
- Copy of international vaccination card (yellow fever card), fully completed by a health practitioner
- Copy of passport data page as well as copies of existing visa and previously issued visas
- Introduction/Recommendation letter from an employer, where applicable, signed with contact details.
- Marriage certificate where applicable and if the couple will be staying for more than 90 days
- Non-refundable visa fee of ₦8,600, excluding service fee.
- Proof of financial status (six months recent bank statements) or financial support letter from employer with six months bank statements in a case where the employer is sponsoring the trip
- Self-introduction letter with a physical address and phone number
- Two identical passport size (45mmx45mm) photographs on white background showing your complete face
- Verifiable hotel reservation/bookings – must be done directly with the hotels and not through third parties.
South Africa Visa Types
If you don’t belong to any of these categories, you can start the application process. But before we go into the nitty gritty of the passport application, you should note the different types of visas so that you don’t apply for the wrong visa category.
This visa is primarily used for visiting family or for short term vacation. The visa is valid for up to 90 days.
Long Stay Visitor Visa
Long stay visitor visa is applicable to foreign nationals that intend to stay in South Africa for a period between 3 months and 3 years.
This is applicable to individuals travelling to South Africa for business. The validity of the visa ranges from 3 to 5 years.
South Africa Visa Application Guidelines for Nigerians
Now that you know the different visa categories, it is time to apply. You can apply at VFS Global Office in Lagos, Port Harcourt or Abuja.
You’re expected to submit your applications in person at any of these application centres.
Each application centre accepts a set amount of application entries per day. Currently, Lagos accepts 230 applications, Abuja accepts 150 and Port Harcourt accepts only 20 applications. It is advisable to get to the application centre as early as 7am in order to hand in your application in good time and avoid long queues.
Below are the offices of VFS Global in Lagos, P/Harcourt and Abuja.
VFS Application Centre – Lagos
Address: Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way, 3rd Roundabout, Lekki Phase I, Lagos
Contact: +234 815 018 8800
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 08:00 – 15:00
VFS Application Centre – Abuja
Address: No. 38, Lobito Crescent, Wuse 2, Abuja
Contact: +234 81 5018 8800
Submission Timings: Monday to Friday – 08:00 – 15:00
VFS Application Centre – Port Harcourt
Address: Vineyard Shopping Centre, 88 Woji Road, GRA, Port Harcourt
Contact: +234 81 5018 8800
Submission Times: Monday to Friday: 08:00 – 15:00
Usually, the processing time for the application is a minimum of 6 working days but it also depends on other factors as each application is assessed individually.
You will be notified via SMS when your application has been sent to the South African Embassy on the submission day and you can track your South African visa application online.
After the processing, you will be asked to collect your visa at the centre where you applied. You should bring along your receipt when picking up your visa.
We’ve highlighted the cost of the South African Visa in Naira depending on the visa category.
See related visa and travel stuff
- How much is Dubai Visa in Nigerian Naira in 2023
- Kuwait Visa Costs in Nigeria (2023)
- Cost of Australian Visa in Nigeria (2023)
- South Africa Visa Fees in Nigeria (2023)
- Germany Visa Fees in Nigeria (2023)
- Cost of International Passport in Nigeria (2023)
- Cost of Visa from Nigeria to Canada (2023)
- Turkey Visa Fee in Nigeria (2023)
Is it possible for me to process the visa myself? The cost an agent is demanding from me is too high. Thanks
Yes, i did mine personally last year, and got it within reasonable timeframe.
Ensure you met all the requirements-that’s all.
I have long returned from the trip and it was a nice one.
wow… I really want go apply for it. but some of this requirements I don’t really understand them
can I ask for your help? pls
i really want to apply for it..can you help me please
how did you do it please
and can you help me out with it?
please brother I have a pc and a scanner here please can you guide me on how to do it my self the agent money it’s so cost boss! help your brother
Brother do it urself
How much is the visa fee and the amount of fly ticket
Good day, pls i need to make equiry , if i have a south africa friend that is inviting , kindly advise me on how to go on it. i mean application processing. thanks
U can book hotel if u don’t have anyone there
What is the current rate of South African Visa from Nigeria?
I want to apply with my family, how do I go about dat I need reply please
I want to travel down to south africa as a first timer traveller and hoping to live and working their,so how am i going to do.
Hello everyone, am sorry I am just seeing your messages now. Am sure the time lag must have elaspes for some of you guys that requested for some form of support/enquiry. I will yltry my best to respond to them the much I know as applicable within the law.
If you want to go and live in Souh Africa, your best best is to apply for Critical Skills Visa. This allows you to work and remain in South Africa so long your qualifications, skills and experience is within the Critical Skills List gazetted on DHA website.
It is unlawful for you to go to SA on visit Visa and remain indefinately. You will be banned and considered undesirable element…..what’s that term again they use for such forks…..????.
You might want to consider studies if you don’t have the skills for applying ynder the Critical Skills.
Does south Africa still demand for repatriation fee ? If so how much is it as of now.
Yes, they do! Am not sure how much now.
Check their website for update.
Please I have applied for visiting visa from South Africa embassy in Abuja since on 10th of August 2018 and up till today 10th of September haven’t heard anything from them. I was told is going to be available in 10working days. I have track my application for several times but what I keep seeing is still with High commission for assessment. Please what could have happened
Hi, am sure by now you must have gotten feedbacks from the embassy. Perdo. My late response- just seeing this now!
Usually, peak periods for visa application to embassies is towards the last quarter of the year.
Have you heard from them now?
I applied for South Africa visa,and my passport has been sent to me. will d visa be available at different time or l was denied visa?
Hi, am afraid your application was not granted.
If you don’t have any visa sticker on your passport after it was returned from South African Embassy, it means you were denied the visa.
Visa denial is function of several factors ranging from material error with dates, poor motivation letter, false supporting documents, poor statement of account, etc…
When one is denied with a clause of appealing within 10 working days, can one reapply again instead of going through an appeal?
Please what is the difference between visa fee and service fee. How much is d visa cost presently for a short term visit
Good day…. Please I need to know ho much a company must have in the account statme before sponsporing a family to SA
Please I’m a student planning on going to Canada for holidays like how much would it cost me…? Please
Hi, can I use only my business account ( I am a sole signatory). I don’t have funds in my personal account for now.
I applied for a south African study visa since November 2018 and up until now, I have nor heard from the embassy. I keep tracking d application but get the same response, has been received and is still at d high commission, what do I do??
I want to apply for South African Visa with my wife & 2 kids of age 5 & 2 months on a short stay holiday(2 weeks) . I want to apply for it myself because the agents are charging too much (1). How do I book for the flight,hotel reservations without paying since have not been issued the visa yet and Am not going yet (2) How do I get the Yellow fever card ? I will be looking forward to your response Thanks
How much is the visa document South Africa in Nigeria and fly ticket
Hi I got a single entry Visa last year to SA and I enjoyed my stay, Now I’m reapplying for this years leave and want to choose the option of multiple entry… Will it affect my application or should I stick to single but I really want to travel frequently due to by new job and position and a business development officer. Kindly advice thank you.
Hello,,can I renew my work/life partner parmit here in Nigeria ..Thanks
please how do i get the yelow card been requested for and how much is ot
I was in south Africa and my passport expired and I got a new passport in south then I applied for a permit and the pepper couldnt come out so I left it and used the pay slip that they gave me at vfs in south Africa to come back to Nigeria with my passport without any sticker nor visa on it , then am asking can I obtain visa with same of my passport? Thanks