Oppo has become one of the major forces to be reckoned with in the smartphone market. This company has manufactured several high-quality smartphones that are very affordable. It recently announced a new addition to its product line, the Oppo A53S 5G. We will discuss the price, specs, and key features of this smartphone in this post.
Price of Oppo A53S 5G in Nigeria
The Oppo A53S 5G is yet to hit the Nigerian market at the time of writing this article. We decided to comb the internet for figures to help us come up with a price estimate for this device. Based on our research, we estimate that the Oppo A53S 5G should cost between N85,000 and N100,000 when it arrives.
Oppo A53S 5G Specs at a Glance
- Launched: 2021, April 27
- Size: 164 x 75.7 x 8.4 mm (6.46 x 2.98 x 0.33 in)
- Number of SIMs: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Networks: 2G (GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2), 3G (HSPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 2100), 4G (LTE 1, 3, 5, 8, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41), 5G (1, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA)
- Operating system: Android 11, ColorOS 11.1
- Display size: 6.52 inches, 102.6 cm2(~82.7% screen-to-body ratio)
- Display type: IPS LCD, 480 nits (typ)
- Resolution: 720 x 1600 pixels, 20:9 ratio
- PPI density: 269 PPI density
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6833 Dimensity 700 5G (7 nm)
- GPU: Mali-G57 MC2
- RAM: 6GB and 8GB
- Internal memory: 128GB
- Memory card: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- Main camera: 13 MP, f/2.2, 25mm (wide), 1/3.06″, 1.12µm, PDAF 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro) 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Camera features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video specs: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie camera: 8 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide)
- Selfie video specs: 1080p@30fps
- Earphone jack: Yes
- Speaker: Yes
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Radio: No
- NFC: No
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- Bluetooth: 0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Battery type: Li-Po 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Charging 10W
- Colors: Crystal Blue, Ink Black
Oppo A53S 5G Review
The Oppo A53S 5G was announced as a rebrand of the A55 5G that was released into the market earlier in 2021. Based on the figures online, the Oppo A53S 5G is regarded as the most affordable smartphone in the 5G category. In this section, we will discuss the features of this device that make it tick.
Display and Design
The first part of a smartphone that we get to see, touch, and experience is the design and display. As a result, smartphone companies invest in producing quality and attractive designs and displays for their devices. Oppo is not left out as it fashions a great look for the Oppo A53S 5G.
This device is manufactured with premium materials making it look very attractive and durable at the same time. It features a mix of glass and plastic of very high quality. One of the things that we like so much about the Oppo A53S 5G is its portability. This device weighs only 189 grams and its dimensions in millimeters are 164 x 75.7 x 8.4. While it is not the lightest smartphone on the market, it fits into bags and pockets pretty seamlessly.
Oppo provides its customers with two color options for the rear cover, ink black, and crystal blue. Both colors are equally attractive but there is no gradient or pattern so the rear cover is completely plain. It features a rectangular camera module that is equipped with 3 cameras and an LED flash.
What is in front of this device? Oppo equips the Oppo A53S 5G with an IPS LCD panel. The screen measures about 6.5 inches and also offers an aspect ratio of 20:9 and a resolution of 720 x 1600 pixels. Add this to the 60Hz refresh rate and you are assured of a wonderful visual experience with the Oppo A53S 5G.
Lodged on the top-left corner of the display is the teardrop notch that houses the front camera. The device also packs an “ultra-clear eye care” feature to protect your eyes while using it. This feature makes use of AI smart backlighting to adjust the device brightness to suit the environment.
The cameras of a smartphone determine to a large extent how well it will do on the market. So many people check for the camera quality before purchasing a smartphone these days. As for the cameras of the Oppo A53S 5G, we don’t think Oppo did enough justice.
While the rear camera module packs a triple camera setup, the primary camera seems to be low in quality. This camera only features 13 megapixels, far lower than many devices in the same class. However, Oppo equips it with an AI capability along with a 4-centimeter macro lens. The primary camera is accompanied by a depth camera and macro camera, both packing 2 megapixels each.
Moving to the front of the Oppo A53S 5G, the selfie camera comes with 8 megapixels. This isn’t so bad as most devices within the same price range feature similar selfie cameras. Both the front and rear cameras on this device can record HDR 1080p videos at 30fps.
Software and Hardware
What is under the hood of a smartphone is core to its operation and optimal function. Oppo understands this so it equips the Oppo A53S 5G with a Dimensity 700 5G chipset. It adds an octa-core processor to this to ensure that the device can run several apps simultaneously without hanging.
This device also features two RAM variants, 6GB and 8GB. However, it only has one internal storage variant, 128GB. To expand on this, you can add a microSD card to the provided slot. Finally, the Oppo A53S 5G runs on Android 11 based on the ColorOS 11.1 platform.
Oppo equips this device with a 5000mAh non-removable battery. This battery supports 10-watt charging but no fast-charge capabilities. With a full charge, you will enjoy several hours of talk and standby time.