POP ceilings are a type of false or suspended ceiling. They have become very common in Nigeria and other parts of the world these days. This type of ceiling is not just popular because of the beauty it adds to buildings, but because of its strength and durability.
Before you begin a building project, you should know the cost of the materials that you want to use. POP ceilings are quite costly and this is understandable because of their design and durability. In this post, we will discuss the cost of POP ceilings in Nigeria. Along with this, we will tell you where you can get POP ceilings in Nigeria.
Cost of POP Ceilings in Nigeria
POP stands for “Plaster of Paris.” These ceilings have become very popular in Nigeria as most builders like to use POP for their finishing. There are several factors that affect the cost of POP ceilings in Nigeria. Some of them include:
- Transportation costs
- Cost of raw materials
So how much do POP ceilings cost? We took some time to survey the market to find out the prices of these materials. After our survey, we discovered that it is difficult to put get a specific price for POP ceilings. This is because different vendors or contractors have different charges. The general price range for POP ceilings is between N3,000 and N5,000 per square meter. By our calculations, you could spend up to N50,000 to cover a single room.
Explaining POP Ceilings
Have you ever wondered what POP ceilings are? What is their constituent material and why are they as hard as they are? Well, we have some answers for you in this section.
As we mentioned earlier, POP stands for Plaster of Paris. This is a type of building material that is made of a hard substance known as Gypsum. POP is used to make ceilings and coat walls as well as architectural designs.
The POP comes in a dry powder form. When it is time for use, water is added to the powder to create a paste. This paste is applied over chicken mesh or net that provides mechanical strength to the POP. After this, the contractor attaches the mesh or net to a metal framing system.
They leave the whole system to dry after treating it. The drying process could take up to a month. This is why installers prefer that customers set up appointments before the installation date.
Advantages of POP Ceilings
Why should you make use of POP ceilings? Here are some of the advantages that POP ceilings bring to the table:
- Very durable.
- Low thermal conductivity.
- Resistant to fire.
- Heat insulation.
- It doesn’t shrink during the setting process.
- Resistant to knocks after it dries.
- Mixes with water easily.
- Easy to level and spread.
- Great adhesion capacity on fibrous materials.
- Firm surface for colours to settle.
- Decorative interior finis.
- It can be moulded into diverse shapes.
- Not susceptible to chemical attacks.
Disadvantages of POP Ceilings
While POP ceilings have so many advantages, they have several disadvantages as well. We have listed a few below:
- Not great for exterior finishes.
- Not suited to moist environments.
- Requires a great deal of maintenance.
- It cannot be used in all buildings.
- Cumbersome to install.
- Installation requires highly skilled labor.
Where to purchase POP Ceilings in Nigeria
There are so many POP installers and dealers in Nigeria. To help you find one close to you, we have come up with a list of reputable vendors. However, we suggest that you meet them in person, discuss your terms, and then finalize a deal. Here are some of the best hands in the POP ceiling business in Nigeria:
- Kelvin Kleen Interiors Limited: Zango, Katsina State (07083000725).
- Ashmark Global Limited: Lekki Phase 2, Lagos State (08135262652).
- Majo Xclusive: Ikeja, Lagos State (08034841095).
- Ahdak Nigeria Limited: Ikeja, Lagos State (08023270525).
- Ematech Enterprises: Lekki, Lagos State (07035071356).
- Sylvester Pascal: Kaduna South, Kaduna State (08067992859).
- Hi Board: Agbado, Ogun State (08152040263).