Electricity has become a very important aspect of our lives. It is almost impossible to build a structure these days without putting electricity into consideration. As such, you must factor in the cost of the electrical materials that you need into your budget.
This brings us to the question, “how much do electrical materials for construction cost in Nigeria?” Continue reading this post to find out the answer. There is also some bonus information about electrical materials for construction just for you. Ready to find out? Let’s dive in.
Prices of Electrical Materials in Nigeria
There is a huge array of electrical materials that are used in the construction of buildings today. From cables to sockets and other electrical fittings. Finding out the prices of these materials helps to prepare your budget and plan your construction project.
The challenge is that most times, you find it difficult to walk around the market just finding out prices. Not to worry, we have done the survey on your behalf. After our survey, we came up with the list of electrical materials and their prices below:
- 4 armored cable by 50 mm: N7,800 – N8,500 per meter
- 4 armored cable by 16 mm: N3,700 – N5,000 per meter
- Changeover switch (100 amps): N67,000 – N75,000
- TP and N switch (100 amps): N35,000 – N40,000
- Distribution board (D12): N55,000 – N65,000
- 6 by 6 cooker unit: N6,500 – N8,000
- PVC dignity pipe (25 mm): N12,000 – N17,000 per bundle
- PVC dignity pipe (20 mm): N11,000 – N13,000 per bundle
- Ordinary energy-saving lights (1 by 36 watts): N6,000 – N8,000
- High-grade ordinary energy-saving lights (1 by 36 watts): N17,000 – N19,500
- Light fittings (4 by 18 watts): N9,500 – N12,000
- Bulk-headed light fittings: N4,500 – N6,000
- Chandelier light fittings: N35,000 – N90,000
- DP switch: N4,500 – N5,500
- 13 amps socket: N1,500 – N2,100
- 5 amps socket: N1,100 – N1,400
- 3 gang 1-way switch: N3,700 – N4,500
- 2 gang 2-way switch: N3,500 – N4,000
- 1 gang 2-way switch: N2,100 – N3,100
- 1 gang 1-way switch: N800 – N1,100
- Single-core (G.R.Y.) cable (1.5 mm): N10,500 – N13,000 per coil/100
- Single-core (G.R.Y.) cable (2.5 mm): N15,000 – N20,000 per coil/100
- Single-core (G.R.Y.) cable (4 mm): N25,000 – N30,000 per coil/100
- Single-core (G.R.Y.) cable (6 mm): N30,000 – N37,000
Note that these prices may change by the time you visit the market for several reasons. The strongest of these reasons is that the prices of construction materials fluctuate frequently. This is mostly because of environmental factors, government policies, and market forces. Other reasons for the price changes include your location and the vendor that you patronize.
Factors affecting the prices of electrical materials in Nigeria
If you are conversant with buying electrical materials, then you will agree that their prices fluctuate a lot. This raises a question that begs an answer, “Why do these materials fluctuate in price so much?” If you have been bugged by this question, we might have a few answers for you. Based on our research, here are factors that affect the prices of electrical materials in Nigeria.
It is no secret that some brands are more popular than others. The different brand names have an effect on the prices of their products. Products from a very popular brand are almost always costlier than those from less popular brands. This is mostly because these known brands have established a strong reputation on the market.
Time is another very important determinant of the price of electrical materials. Have you noticed that some materials just get costlier at certain times during the year? Once such seasons pass, these materials become cheaper. That is the effect of time on market prices. If you study the prices of these materials in relation to the seasons, you can figure out the best time to buy them.
Many of the electrical materials that we purchase in Nigeria are imported from overseas. As a result, their prices are influenced by the cost of import duties. The higher the import duty, the costlier the product and vice versa.
Where you purchase the materials also determines how costly they will be. If you make the purchase in a city with a high standard of living, you should expect that they will be costly. On the other hand, you will purchase the same materials in another location at a far cheaper price.